RIVERDALE, N.Y.— The Sacred Heart men's soccer team was shut out for the third straight game Thursday night, falling 1-0 to Manhattan at Gaelic Park.
The Pioneers (0-3) had the first shot on goal of the game at 12:47 by sophomore Riley Sullivan. The Jaspers (2-1) pushed the pace shortly after netting the games lone goal at 21:56 from Lucas DaSilva who fired one from the right box into the left corner of the net for the 1-0 score.
SHU offense began generate chances in the second half, outshooting Manhattan 8-6 in the final period. In the game the Jaspers held a 13-10 shot advantage over the Pioneers. Sullivan, sophomore Oscar Curras and freshman Alejandro Arribas recorded the three shots on goal for the Pioneers. Sophomore Robert Strain made three saves in goal for SHU.
The Pioneers travel to Seton Hall on Monday, September 4 for a 7:00 p.m. start.
- Sullivan with his first shot on goal of the season at 12:47 gets denied by Marcellin Gohier.
- Strain picked up his first save of the game at 37:16
- Pioneers had two shots in the 68th minute by Julian Linke & Aaron Schwartz get blocked by the Jasper defense.
- Arribas fired a shot on goal at 73:05 but was stopped by Connor Hayes.
- Manhattan tried for an insurance tally at 77:27 but was stopped by Robert Strain.
- SHU missed wide with two shots in the final five minutes of regulation.