NEW HAVEN, Conn.— A goal by Sarah Jordan in the 82nd minute was the deciding tally as the Sacred Heart women's soccer team fell to Yale, 3-2 at Reese Stadium on Tuesday night. Four of the five goals in the game were scored in the final 30 minutes, with the Pioneers (0-3) responding twice from a one goal deficit.
Yale (3-0) broke the back-and-forth battle late in the first half as Keri Cavallo launched a second cross on the rebound from her corner kick into the top of the box for Carlin Hudson to put a header in the back of the net. The 37th minute score put the Bulldogs ahead 1-0.
The SHU offense continued to push the attack in the second half, eventually drawing a foul in the offensive zone in the 63rd minute. That set up sophomore Caitlyn Buckley for the spectacular cross off the free kick to senior captain Kim McNally who sent it into the back of the net from six yards out.
The Bulldogs looked to combat the Pioneers momentum with a goal by Sarah McCauley from the top of the box on the feed from Ciara Ostrander. The Pioneers answered nearly two minutes later on the boot from 20 yards out from junior Melanie DaSilva that slipped past the hands of Bulldogs keeper Alyssa Fagel. Junior Marissa Gibbons had the lead pass for the assist on the goal that tied it up at 2-2.Both teams continued to battle for the final scoring chance, but Yale was able to find the back of the net one last time as Jordan put the bounce off the half volley to the upper left corner for the game winner in the 82nd minute.
The Bulldogs held the shot advantage 16-7 over the Pioneers in the game. Junior Nicole Sambuco made six saves in goal for SHU to Fagel's two for Yale.
The Pioneers travel to Army West Point on Thursday, August 31 for another game under the lights with a 7:00 p.m. kick off.
- Sambuco with the stop on shot by Kristi Wharton charging from the left side at 6:45.
- Alyssa Chirchella with the clear from the near post, thwarting the open look from McCauley in the 33rd minute.
- Buckley and DaSilva fired the two SHU shots on goal in the opening half.
- McNally tied the game at 1-1 with her fourth career goal off the free kick cross from Buckley in the 63rd minute.
- DaSilva with her second tally of the season in the 76th minute was the Pioneers second and final shot on goal in the half.
- Sambuco made her fourth save of the half in the 84th minute as Jordan fired another shot from four yards out.
- The Bulldogs outshot the Pioneers 9-4 in the final 45 minutes.