FAIRFIELD, Conn.— The Sacred Heart women's soccer team earned a 1-0 victory over LIU Brooklyn at Park Ave. Field on Sunday afternoon.
Prior to the game, SHU honored its two seniors, Kathryn Crescenzo & Kim McNally as part of senior day. The Pioneers (6-10, 3-3 NEC) controlled the ball early against the Blackbirds (3-9-2, 1-3-1 NEC) outshooting them 11-2 in the opening half of play.
LIU Brooklyn nearly got on the board first as Brittany Fazin shot hit the crossbar in the 50th minute. SHU got on the board in the 72nd minute as junior Hunter Boland played a pass out to the right side for classmate Alyssa Hyland who then fired one to the back-left corner. The assist was Boland's first of her career while Hyland netted her second goal of the season.
SHU held a 19-6 shot advantage over LIU Brooklyn. Aline Allmann made eight saves for the Blackbirds, in goal for the Pioneers junior Nicole Sambuco registered three saves in her fourth shutout of the season. It was also her third clean sheet in NEC play.
The Pioneers will travel to Wagner on Sunday, October 22 for the final road game of the regular season.
- Junior Alex Mesropyan had the feed from freshman Taylor Casale but her shot sailed just high as the Pioneer attack got to work in the opening two minutes of play.
- Junior Danielle Karpiej had an open look as she juked out Allmann in the 40th minute but the ball slipped off her left foot.
- SHU registered four shots on goal in the first half.
- After Smith's shot hit the crossbar, Jenn Peter's was netfront for the chip in. Sambuco was there for the big save in the 50th minute.
- Junior Melanie DaSilva was recipient of a through ball by Mesropyan into the Blackbirds zone. Allmann made the diving stop in the 71st minute.
- Boland connected with Hyland for her first career assist in the 72nd minute. Hyland set a new single-season career high with two goals.