Sacred Heart University head baseball coach Nick Restaino announced the 2020 Pioneers baseball schedule. SHU will host 19 home games at Veteran's Park in Bridgeport, Conn., as part of the 52-game slate that includes three teams that played in the 2019 NCAA Tournament.
"We are looking forward to our 2020 schedule, as it provides our program with some early season challenges as we prepare for the conference portion of our schedule," said Restaino. "I am eager for our guys to step inside the lines and see what we can do."
The Early Games
- The Pioneers open the season with a three-game series at VCU, who posted a 39-19 mark last season
- SHU will close the month of February and the beginning of March at Wake Forest, taking on Brown, LaSalle and a pair with the host Demon Deacons
- The Pioneers will play Longwood, Ball State, Yale and Purdue Fort Wayne in Mount Pleasant, S.C. at the Swing and Swine at Shipyard Park
The NEC Slate
- SHU opens the NEC schedule at defending champion CCSU, March 20-22
- The Pioneers host Bryant, LIU, CCSU, Mount St. Mary's and Merrimack in league play
- SHU will also play series at Wagner and FDU during the campaign
- The top-four teams will earn NEC Tournament berths, with the double-elimination tournament returning to Dodd Stadium, May 21-23
- The home opener comes March 24 when the SHU welcomes 2019 NCAA Tournament participant, Fordham
- That weekend, SHU welcomes Bryant for a three-game NEC set, March 27-29
- The first of three non-conference games versus in-state foes comes March 31, when Hartford visits for a 3:00 pm game
- In mid-April, SHU plays the second set of a home-and-home series with CCSU, hosting three games before welcoming Fairfield and Yale April 21 and 22
- The Pioneers wrap-up home play with back-to-back conference weekends, hosting Mount St. Mary's (May 1-3) and Merrimack (May 7-9)
The Road Games
- The Pioneers will open the norther portion of the slate with a game versus Manhattan at Dutchess Stadium in Wappingers Falls, N.Y.
- A weekend series at Seton Hall comes March 13-15, before a trip to Rhode Island
- SHU will play at Yale on April 7 and at Fairfield on April 15
- The Pioneers travel to Wagner for three games, April 9-11, and Fairleigh Dickinson, April 24-26
- Army West Point, who won the Patriot League and advanced to the NCAA Tournament last year, will welcome the Pioneers to West Point on April 28
- The non-conference finale is at Albany on May 12