The Sacred Heart University baseball team dropped a 5-4 decision in 13 innings to non-conference host, Fordham University Wednesday afternoon. The loss drops the Pioneers to 1-3 on the season, while the Rams improve to 2-6.
The Rams scored two runs in the bottom of the ninth, to force extra frames, and then scored the game-winning run on the second batter of the 13th. The two squads combined for 23 hits and 22 strikeouts on the afternoon.
SHU returns to action on Friday, when they take on Brown at Wake Forest.
- David Aufiero was the hard luck loser on the mound, allowing an unearned run on three hits, and strikeout out one, in 3.2 innings of work
- Cooper Thompson fanned two in his 2.2 innings of work, allowing two runs on three hits
- Thomas Pinto started for SHU fanning two, allowing a hit, and walking two, in 2.2 innings of work
- Alvin Melendez picked up the win, with five scoreless innings of work, and striking out nine
- Ben Kovel, started and went 2.0 innings, and fanned three, as did Marc Bisogno in his two innings of work
At the Plate
- Jake Frasca accounted for four of the Pioneers base hits, and had an RBI, finishing 4-6 on the afternoon
- Justin Jordan, Stephen Thibault, and Joey Skarad all recorded two hits as well for SHU
- SHU had four stolen bases on the afternoon, with Jordan, Thibault, Elijah Brown and Sam Mongelli all swiping a bag
- Melenedez was 2-5 at the plate for Fordham, with two RBI
How it Happened
- The Pioneers plated a run in the top of the first, when Jake Frasca's single through the left side scored Stephen Thibault
- Sam Mongelli's single to left in the top of the third, with two outs, played Elijaih Brown, to give the Pioneers a 2-0 advantage
- Thibault drove in Justin Jordan in the top of the fourth, with a single to center field
- Fordham played two runs in the bottom of the sixth, with an RBI single from Zach Selinger and an RBI ground-rule double from Melendez, to close within 3-2
- SHU added an insurance run in its portion of the eighth, when Skarad singled to right field to plate Danny Glendon
- Jake MacKenzie singled through the left side with one out to plate Jason Coules
- Melenedez would tie the game with a sacrifice fly to centerfield, plating Vazquez
- Coules' fly ball to left in the bottom of the 13th was dropped and allowed Jake Guercio to score the winning run