Setting the Scene: The Sacred Heart University men's basketball team travels to Holy Cross for its final non-conference road game of the season, Sunday afternoon. The game will air on NESN and the Patriot League Network, with Kevin Gehl and Adam Giardino on the call.
- Today's game marks the 200th game as head coach for Anthony Latina
- The Pioneers are fourth in the nation in free throw shooting (through 12/16), hitting at a clip of 81.5 percent
- E.J. Anosike is averaging a double-double on the year, at 16.4 points and 10.6 rebounds a game
- SHU is 6-0 when reaching 73 or more points
- Cameron Parker continues to lead the nation in assists, at 9.3, and is one of four players over 8.0 APG through December 16
- He has recorded four of the 34 total games this season (through 12/16) in which a player has had 12 or more assists
- Jare'l Spellman ranks 27th nationally with 2.45 blocks per game, through 12/16
- The Pioneers averaged 12.5 turnovers per game during the four-game win streak that just ended, but are averaging 15.5 for the season
- Today's game marks the fourth game of a four-game road swing
- Jare'l Spellman has more blocks (27) as an individual then Holy Cross (25) has as a team
The Series: The Pioneers and Crusaders are meeting for the 16th time on the hardwood, with Holy Cross holding a 10-5 advantage in the series. The Crusaders have won four straight meetings, including a 93-81 victory in Worcester on November 6, 2018. The two teams have met in each season since a Pioneers win on December 30, 2007, 61-58. The first meeting came in 1999, a 55-52 Holy Cross win to open the New Year.
- The Pioneers, through 12/16, rank 15th in the nation at 42.09
- SHU leads the NEC with a+5.0 rebound margin, which is good 75th in the country
- The Pioneers have collected 463 rebounds this season, 19th most in the country
- The team is averaging 12.73 offensive boards per game, which is 42nd in the country
- E.J. Anosike ranks 17th, (through 12/16) in the country with his 10.6b rebounds per game, while his 117 total boards is good for 12th
- Three Pioneers rank in the top-eight in the NEC in total rebounds: Anosike 117, Jare'l Spellman 94 and Kinnon LaRose, 73
Scouting the Knights: Holy Cross has lost its last three games by a total of 14 points, including a three-point overtime loss to UMass-Boston in its last home game. Overall, the Crusaders are being outscored by an average of 13.9 points per game. Opponents are averaging 81.4 points an outing, by shooting 47.8 percent from the field and out-rebounding Holy Cross by nearly three caroms a contest. Joe Pridgen is the leading scorer, averaging 15.4 points a game and shooting 56.8 percent from the field. Austin Butler is the team's leading rebounder at 7.5 a game and is his 10.5 points an outing is third on the roster.
Keep An Eye