UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa.- A late third period comeback by the Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team would not be enough as SHU would fall just short to Penn State 5-4. The Pioneers will return to action on Friday, Oct. 18 when the Pioneers open up Atlantic Hockey play at home against AIC. Puck-drop is set for 7:05 p.m.
- The Pioneers would be outshot in the opening period as they took 22 while Penn State tallied 30.
- In shots on goal both sides would be in double-digits as SHU recorded 13 while the Nittany Lions recorded 16.
- Senior Jason Cotton led the way in shots for the Pioneers in the period tallying four shots all on goal.
- Penn State would be first to get on the board as they would tally two in the period.
- The first came at 8:30 while the team was short-handed as Cole Hults would net the goal to give the Nittany Lions a 1-0 lead.
- The second came towards the end of the period at 17:14 as Brandon Brio would net Penn State's goal off assists Nate Sucese and Hults to give the Nittany Lions a 2-0 lead heading into the second period.
- The Pioneers and Nittany Lions would be tightly together in shots as SHU took 24 while Penn State tallied 25.
- SHU recorded 11 shots on goal in the period while Penn State had 16.
- Penn State would be the only team to score in the period as they found the back of the net twice in the period.
- The first came at 4:12 in the period as a goal by Nate Sucese off assists by Brandon Brio and Max Sauve put Penn State ahead 3-0.
- Then at 14:46, the Nittany Lions scored off a goal by Brio off assists by Sucese and Clayton Philips to close the period with Penn State ahead 4-0.
- SHU would go 0-1 in the period in power-plays with four shots on goal taken.
- The Pioneers would outshoot the Nittany Lions 20-14 in the final period.
- SHU tallied 15 shots on goal in the period while holding Penn State to just five.
- The Pioneers would get on the board in the third courtesy of a goal by senior Vito Bavaro 7:50 into the period off assists by Max Luukko and sophomore Ryan Steele to tighten the Penn State lead to 4-1.
- The SHU comeback continued as a goal by senior Jason Cotton 8:58 in would give the Pioneers their second goal of the game and narrow the Penn State lead to 4-2. Assists would be credited to junior Jordan Kaplan and first-year Daniel Petrick.
- Penn State would answer back though as Mason Snell would give the Nittany Lions a 5-2 lead 10:39 into the third period.
- SHU would fire right back as sophomore Austin Magera would tally his first-goal of the season 16:12 into the period with assists by junior Marc Johnstone and first-year Jeppe Urup.
- The Pioneers would put a little scare into the Nittany Lions just four seconds later as Cotton would tally his second goal of the game off an assist by junior Matt Tugnutt to put SHU within one goal of tying the Nittany Lions.
- Penn State's defense would hold up though to end the Pioneer comeback with the final score being 5-4.