BRIDGEPORT, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team fell to Atlantic Hockey rival AIC tonight by a final score of 2-1. The Pioneers will return to action on Friday, Oct. 25 when they begin a two-game series at Niagara. Puck-drop is set for 7:05 p.m.
- Both sides were even in shots on goal as the Pioneers and Yellow Jackets each tallied eight shots in the period.
- AIC got on the board first off a power-play goal at 6:37 by Tobias Fladeby off assists by Martin Mellberg and Blake Christensen to put the Yellow Jackets ahead 1-0.
- SHU answered right back off a goal by senior Vito Bavaro for his second of the season less than a minute later at 7:36 to even the score at 1-1. Assists were credited to junior co-captain Marc Johnstone and fellow co-captain Jason Cotton.
- SHU held AIC to going just 1-3 on the power-play in the opening period while SHU struggled going 0-1.
- The Pioneers offensive attack increased in the second period as SHU fired off 17 shots on goal in the period while holding AIC to just seven.
- AIC tallied the game-winner in the period as a goal by Martin Mellberg at 10:22 while the Yellow Jackets were on the power-play gave AIC a 2-1 lead.
- SHU was held to just eight shots on goal in the period while AIC continued its offensive attack firing off 11 shots in the period.
- Neither side would be able to score in the period resulting in the Pioneers falling to the Yellow Jackets 2-1.
- Sophomore goalie Josh Benson would fall to 0-3-1 on the season as he recorded 24 saves on 26 shots faced.
- Zacharias Skog tallied the win for AIC improving to 1-2-0 on the year recording 32 saves on 33 shots faced.