NEW HAVEN, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team completed the weekend sweep of Robert Morris this afternoon with a 4-2 victory at Ingalls Rink in New Haven. The Pioneers will return to action after the Christmas break on Saturday Dec. 28 when SHU hosts Bentley at Webster Bank Arena. Puck-drop is set for 1:05 p.m.
- The Pioneers outshot the Colonials 12-10 in the opening period.
- SHU rocketed off three goals in the first period to put the Pioneers ahead 3-0.
- Junior Matt Tugnutt added on to his career high goal total with the first of the night coming at 4:39 off a pair of assists by senior Jason Cotton and junior Michael Gilroy to put SHU ahead 1-0.
- Then four minutes later at 8:17 in the period, Jason Cotton nailed his first goal of the game off a duo of assists by Tugnutt and senior Mike Lee to give the Pioneers a 2-0 lead.
- Cotton answered again less than a minute later at 8:55 in the period as he tallied his second of the night off assists by first-year Patrick Dawson and junior Alex Bates to give the Pioneers the 3-0 lead heading into the following period.
- The Pioneers dominated the second period firing off 12 shots on goal while holding Robert Morris to just six.
- SHU scored the lone goal in the period as Cotton racked up his third goal of the game marking his first career hat-trick coming at 13:54 into the period to put the Pioneers ahead 4-0.
- Assists were credited to first-year Braeden Tuck and junior Alex Bates.
- The Colonials had to get aggressive in the period as they outshot the Pioneers 13-8 in the period.
- Robert Morris scored two goals in the period first at 5:44 off the stick of Jacob Coleman to tighten the SHU lead to 4-1.
- Then in the closing minutes with the extra man on, Kip Hoffmann scored for Robert Morris 19:21 into the period but wasn't enough giving SHU the 4-2 victory.
- Senior Jason Cotton recorded his first career hat-trick and the teams second of the year.
- Cotton ups his total goal total on the year to 13 leading the Pioneers.
- Junior Alex Bates racked up two assists to increase his assist total to six.
- Sophomore goalie Josh Benson tallied 27 saves on 29 shots faced.
- SHU improves to 11-6-1 overall and 10-4-0 in Atlantic Hockey play claimed sole possession of first-place.
- SHU now has won eight of their last nine games and has won five straight.