BRIDGEPORT, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team picked up its sixth straight win of the year as SHU tallied it's fourth shutout with a 4-0 blanking of Bentley. The Pioneers look for the two-game sweep tomorrow as SHU hosts the Falcons tomorrow at 1:05 p.m.
- The Pioneers dominated the Falcons in the first period as SHU outshot Bentley 15-4 in the opening period.
- SHU controlled the puck for the majority of the period as sophomore goalie Josh Benson only had one tight encounter with Luke Santerno on a breakaway shot but Benson made the clean save to keep the game scoreless at 0-0.
- Then on SHU's second power-play opportunity of the game, senior Vito Bavaro cashed in his 10th goal of the season off a pair of assists by sophomore Austin Magera and junior Jordan Kaplan to put the Pioneers ahead 1-0, 12:26 into the period.
- Both defenses held strong afterwards as neither team scored for the remainder of the period.
- The Pioneers continued the aggressive offensive attack as SHU was even with Bentley in as each team fired off 13 shots on goal in the period.
- SHU scored late again in the period as senior Jason Cotton continued his impressive season as he fired off his 14th goal of the year off a pair of assists by junior Matt Tugnutt and first-year Braeden Tuck to give the Pioneers a 2-0 lead.
- Then less than three minutes later the Pioneers answered again this time with another power-play goal coming off the stick of Vito Bavaro from junior Marc Johnstone and sophomore Austin Magera 16:24 into the period to give the Pioneers a 3-0 lead heading into the final period.
- The Pioneers and Falcons each were tight on defense in the period as SHU only tallied four shots on goal while Bentley was held to just six shots in the period.
- SHU did score one goal early in the period off the stick of sophomore Nick Boyagian off a pair of assists by junior Evan Wisocky and sophomore Todd Goehring to put the Pioneers ahead 4-0.
- SHU skated back and forth between the Falcons in the third period as neither team scored after the Boyagian goal to eventually lead to 4-0 victory and the Pioneers sixth straight win of the year.
- Sophomore Josh Benson recorded his fourth shutout of the year recording 23 saves on 23 shots faced.
- Senior Vito Bavaro tallied two goals on the day to up his total on the year to 11.
- Sophomore Austin Magera tallied two assists to bring his season total to nine.
- SHU went 2-6 on the power-play while holding Bentley to go 0-3.
- SHU improves to 12-6-1 overall and 11-4-0 in Atlantic Hockey play to take first place in the league with 33 points.
- With the win SHU has won six straight and 9 out of there last 10.