COLORADO SPRINGS, CO.- The #20 ranked Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team rallied back late in the third and in overtime to walk away with a 5-4 overtime victory over Air Force this afternoon. The Pioneers will look for the two game sweep tomorrow when they face Air Force at 7:05 p.m.
- Both sides were held to limited shots on goal as SHU tallied six while Air Force fired off nine.
- SHU jumped on the board first just 2:23 into the game as junior transfer Evan Wisocky tallied his second goal of the year off a pair of assists by sophomores Nick Boyagian and Todd Goehring to give the Pioneers an early 1-0 lead.
- The Falcons came back later on in the first period though as Trevor Stone squeezed a goal 7:36 into the period off two assists by Brandon Koch and Ty Pochipinski to even the score up at 1-1.
- After the Air Force goal, both sides skated to a standstill to send the game tied up at 1-1 after the first period.
- The Pioneers came out firing in the second period as they outshot Air Force eight five in the period.
- The aggressive offensive attack by SHU paid off as senior Austin McIlmurray racked up his 15th goal of the year just 2:47 into the period off a pair of assists by Ryan Steele and Max Luukko to put the Pioneers ahead 2-1.
- Then in the closing minutes of the period, 15:34 into the second, sophomore Ryan Steele fired a wrap around goal for his sixth of the year off a pair of assists by Jordan Kaplan and Austin McIlmurray to send the Pioneers into the third period with a commanding 3-1 lead.
- Air Force would score three unanswered goals in the period first coming off the stick of Luke Rowe just 5:58 into the period to tighten the SHU lead to 3-2.
- Then five minutes later the Falcons struck again this time off the stick of Matt Pulver 10:17 into the period to even the score at 3-3.
- Air Force took a 4-3 lead less than two minutes later as 11:23 into the period Luke Manning found the back of the net to put a gasp into the Pioneers in the second half of the period.
- But SHU answered back in the closing minutes of the period as power-play mastermind Austin McIlmurray rocketed his second goal of the game 16:01 into the game on the SHU power-play off a pair of assists by senior Mike Lee and first-year Braeden Tuck to send the game into overtime.
- Heading into overtime, the Pioneers started off the period on the power-play and just :29 seconds into the period, leave it to McIlmurray to cash in the game winner and his first career hat-trick to give the Pioneers the 5-4 victory.
- Senior Austin McIlmurray led the way for the Pioneers with four points including three goals and one assist.
- Senior Mike Lee continued his strong assist game as he recorded two in the game to up his season total to 26 on the year.
- SHU improves to 17-8-2 overall on the year and 14-6-1 in Atlantic Hockey play.