COLORADO SPRINGS, CO.- The #20 ranked Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team completed the two game sweep of Air Force tonight as the Pioneers defeated the Falcons 5-2. SHU takes a week off from the ice before returning to action for a single game at AIC on Tuesday Feb. 11. Puck-drop is set for 7:05 p.m.
- Both sides fired on all cylinders in the first period as SHU took 10 shots on goal while Air Force notched 11.
- Both sides each had one power-play opportunity in the period as it would be Air Force that took advantage of the man up as Max Harper scored the opening goal of the game coming at 4:27 into the game off assists by Shawn Knowlton and Zach Mirageas to put the Falcons ahead 1-0.
- The Pioneers continued to hold control of the puck for the majority of the period but were unable to find the back of the net to keep the score 1-0 in favor of Air Force heading into the second.
- The Pioneers dominated the second period SHU fired off 15 shots on goal while holding Air Force to just nine.
- SHU was hungry for goals in the period as they racked up three in the period first coming off the stick of senior Austin McIlmurray while the Pioneers were on the power-play off a pair of assists by Mike Lee and Braeden Tuck to even the score at 1-1.
- Then a little over six minutes later junior Marc Johnstone nailed his fourth goal of the year 12:17 into the period off assists by Alex Bates and Austin Magera to give the Pioneers a 2-1 lead.
- The scoring didn't end there as, sophomore Nick Boyagian scored his second goal of the year off a duo of assists by juniors Michael Gilroy and Evan Wisocky at 18:45 into the period to put SHU ahead 3-1.
- The Boyagian goal came in clutch for SHU as Air Force came within goal as Max Harper scored his second of the game 19:10 in the period to narrow the SHU lead to 3-2 heading into the third period.
- Both sides were held to single digit shots on goal in the period as SHU tallied seven while Air Force recorded nine.
- The Pioneers were the only team to score in the period as Boyagian found the back of the net for the second time of the day off a pair of assists by Evan Wisocky and Todd Goehring to put the Pioneers ahead 4-2.
- Then at 17:09 into the period junior Michael Gilroy cashed in his first goal of the year off assists by Marc Johnstone and Austin Magera to put the nail in the coffin to the Falcons as the Pioneers claimed the 5-2 victory and the two-game sweep over Air Force.
- Senior Austin McIlmurray tallied his 12 power-play goal of the year in the win.
- Sophomore Nick Boyagian upped his season total to three on the year with two goals in the game.
- Junior Michael Gilroy picked up two points with a goal and an assist for two points.
- SHU improves to 18-8-2 overall and 15-6-1 in Atlantic Hockey play with the win.