SPRINGFIELD, Mass.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Ice Hockey team fell to AIC tonight by a final score of 6-2. The Pioneers will return to action on Saturday Feb. 15 when SHU hosts Niagara for a two-game set. Puck-drop is set for 1:05 p.m.
- The Pioneers were outshot by the Yellow Jackets six to 13.
- AIC got on the board first with two quick goals coming off the sticks of Elijah Barriga 1:42 into the period followed by a goal by Martin Mellberg just five minutes later 6:32 into the first.
- The Pioneers did answer back with a pair of their own first coming off the stick of sophomore Austin Magera 9:48 into the period off a pair of assists by first-year Jeppe Urup and junior Jordan Kaplan to narrow the Yellow Jackets lead to 2-1.
- Then less than two minutes later 11:22 into the period, Kaplan switched from giving assists to scoring goals as a pass by senior Jason Cotton aided the Pioneers second goal of the game to make the score even at 2-2 heading into the second period.
- The second period was all about AIC as they racked up four goals in the period.
- SHU outshot AIC in the period 14-12 but couldn't find the back of the net in the period.
- AIC scored early in the second at 4:28 into the period off the stick of Blake Christensen to give the AIC a 3-2 lead.
- A little over than two minutes later 6:42 in the second Chris Dodero gave the Yellow Jacket's their fourth goal of the game to increase their lead to 4-2.
- Then the Yellow Jackets tallied two late goals in the period first coming off the stick of Janis Jaks 17:20 into the period to give AIC a 5-2 lead.
- Then with less than two minutes remaining in the period Austen Long gave AIC a 6-2 lead 18:24 into the second to sending the Yellow Jackets into the third period with a commanding 6-2 lead.
- The Pioneers outshot the Yellow Jackets in the third period nine to seven.
- Neither side found the back of the net in the period resulting in AIC skating away with a 6-2 victory.
- AIC dominated the face-off wins throughout the night as SHU tallied 18 while AIC won 36.
- With the loss the Pioneers drop to 18-9-2 overall and 15-7-1 in Atlantic Hockey play.