FAIRFIELD, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Men's Lacrosse dropped its second home game of the year to Providence this afternoon by a final score of 14-8. With the loss the Pioneers drop to 1-5 on the year while Providence improves to 5-1. The Pioneers will return to action on Saturday, Mar. 14 when SHU hosts Mount Saint Mary's to kick off Northeast Conference play. Game-time is set for 12:00 p.m.
The Pioneers and Friars were even heading into the second quarter but then Providence scored six unanswered goals in the second quarter to propel Providence to a 8-3 lead at half. The aggressive offensive push by the Friars led by Matt Grillo who tallied six out of the Friars 14 goals aided in the victory.
By The Numbers
- Senior attackman Trevor Johnson led the way for the Pioneers tallying a game high five goals which blew away a career high season high.
- Jake Giaquinto went 7-17 at the face-off X and picked up two ground balls.
- Lucas Leyba, Jaden Walcot, and Logan Liljeberg each tallied a goal for SHU.
- Providence was led by the six-goal effort of Matt Grillo.
- Thomas Houlihan had three caused turnovers for the Pioneers
- was 12-24 at the face-off X for Stony Brook, and picked up six ground balls
- Toby Burgdorf took the win in net for Providence, making 16 saves and picked up a ground ball.
- Brooks Dutton made six saves in the first-half for SHU, allowing eight goals, and Colton King stopped 12 shots, allowing six goals.
How it Happened
- SHU got on the board first off a goal by Trevor Johnson with 7:46 left in the first quarter.
- Providence countered with a pair of goals before Logan Liljeberg closed the quarter with a goal with :17 remaining in the quarter to even the score out a 2-2 heading into the second.
- Providence dominated the second quarter scoring six unanswered goals two coming from Matt Grillo before SHU was able to tally one goal with 1:17 remaining by Lucas Leyba to send the game into half-time with the score 8-3.
- Providence kicked off the third quarter racking up three goals on coming from Grillo on the man-up to give the Friars an 11-3 lead.
- SHU did respond in the third quarter with a goal by Johnson with 2:50 remaining before another goal by Grillo with :58 remaining brought the score to 12-4.
- With :01 remaining in the quarter, Jalen Wolcott slipped a goal to send the game into the fourth quarter with Providence leading 12-5.
- SHU attacked heavily in the final quarter looking for anyway to narrow the score as the kicked off the quarter with a goal by Johnson with 12:33 remaining in the quarter.
- After a Providence goal brought the Friar lead back to seven with 10:57 remaining, Johnson countered back for his fourth goal of the game coming with 9:00 remaining to tighten the Providence lead to 13-7.
- Johnson scored the final goal of the game coming with 1:14 remaining after a Friar goal with 6:36 left to result in the final score of 14-8.