BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Sacred Heart men's track and field team opened the 2020 calendar year with a busy Saturday at the Lehigh Angry Birds Challenge. The Pioneers scored a fourth place finish out of six teams in the competition over the weekend. Jeffrey Young (60m hurdles) and Sean Mefford (long jump) each scored individual victories to highlight the effort for SHU on the day.
- Jeffrey Young continues to excel in his start to the 2019-20 season, picking up his first victory with a time of 8.33 seconds as the senior topped a field of 17 competitors
- Young now has a victory to go with his second place finish at the Joe Donahue Season Opener (Dec. 14) while he put up the fastest preliminary time at the Yale Season Opener (8.20 seconds) before false starting in the finals
- After placing second in the long jump twice already this season, Sean Mefford picked up his first victory of 2019-20 as he posted a mark of 6.94m to top a field of 15 competitors
- Mefford's mark of 6.94m was well ahead of the second place finisher's mark of 6.59m
- Brenden LaForest showed very well in the 800m, placing second overall while clocking in at 1:58.59
- Moetiz Shilleh continued a good day for the Pioneers in the distance events with his fourth place result in the 3000m, finishing with a time of 8:57.22
- Nicholas Pandolfo put up a third place finish out of a field of 20 runners in the one mile run as he crossed the line in 4:26.92
- Matthew Zawaski came up with a seventh place finish in the 60m as his time of 7.16 seconds is a new personal-best (bested previous best of 7.36 seconds)
- Zawaski added a third place result in the 200m, clocking in at 22.85 seconds
- Cameron Croce opened his sophomore season with a throw of 16.92m in the weight throw which was good enough for third place out of 14 competitors
- Andy Suarez put up a personal-best throw of 14.65m in the shot put, placing him fourth overall while Croce came in eighth with a mark of 14.06m
The Pioneers are back in action with a trip to Boston as SHU will take part in the Boston University Multi-Team Meet on Saturday, Jan. 18.