The Sacred Heart University men's volleyball squad lost to Barton College 3-0, Saturday night at the Pitt Center. The Pioneers fall to 4-2 on the year, while the Bulldogs improve to 5-3 overall.
Barton hit .389 for the match, while Sacred Heart hit .247. Shawn Tischler tallied eight kills and had a .700 hit percentage.
Sacred Heart heads on the road on Friday, February 14 against Charleston (W.V.) at 7 p.m.
By The Numbers
- Calin Butler lead the Pioneers with nine kills, eight digs and two service aces'
- Shawn Tischler led Sacred heart in block assists with three on the night
- Sacred Heart had a team total 6.0 blocks, while Barton tallied 7.0
- Ramiro Balaguer had a team-high 16 assists
- Barton's Nicolo Mancin lead both teams in kills with 14
First Set (Barton 25-19)
- The Pioneers took an early lead off a kill by Tischler and a block from Rob Chatterton and Butler
- After a service error, a kill and service ace Barton took a 3-2 lead until Butler had a kill to tie the game, 3-3
- Barton's Nicolo Mancin served three times to take a 6-3 lead that would end on a service error
- A block by Ramiro Balaguer and Shawn Tischler ended a two-point run from Barton to cut their lead down to 8-6
- Butler had two huge kills to end a 4-2 run that tied the game at 10-10
- Several unforced errors gave Barton a 15-11 lead that led to a Sacred Heart timeout
- The Bulldogs outscored the Pioneers 6-2 following the timeout that led to Sacred Heart second timeout of the set, 21-13
- Great hustle from Paolo Samin kept the rally going that ended the Bulldogs run. The Pioneers went on a 3-0 run to cut the lead down to 22-16.
- A kill by Barton's Angelos Mandilaris clinched the set at 25-19
Second Set (Barton 25-18)
- Sacred Heart scored first to start the second set off a kill from Tischler
- A 2-0 run off a kill by Connor Mahony and a service ace from Rob Chatterton saw the Pioneers take a 5-3 lead
- Barton went on a 4-0 run to take an 8-7 lead
- Chatterton had a big solo block to tie the game at 10-10, the bulldogs went on a 4-0 run with two kills from Adrian Iglesias gave the visitors a 14-10 lead
- Barton outscored the Pioneers 7-4 to lead the host 21-15 before a Sacred Heart timeout
- Barton scored the final four points of the second set to win 25-17
Third Set (Barton 25-22)
- Barton went on an early run off a kill by Mancin and block assists by Mancin and Dimitrios Kyridis to lead 2-0
- An attack error from Barton followed by a kill by Paulo Samin tied the game, 2-2
- A service error from Mancin Barton brought SHU within one at 4-3
- Tischler grabbed a point with a kill that started a 2-0 run tying the game at 6-6
- Barton scored two consecutive points to lead 8-6, a defensive effort from Tischler gave the Pioneers the serve, 8-7
- Butler started a 2-0 run with a kill to come within two of the Bulldogs, 12-10
- Blocks from McIntosh and Tischler allowed the host to come within one of the Bulldogs, 15-14
- Tischler collected a kill that cut the Barton lead down to one, 16-15
- Kills from Butler and Samin tied the game at 18 all to cap off a Sacred Heart 3-0 run
- After a Barton timeout the Pioneers outscored the Bulldogs 2-1 to bring the score to 21-20 forcing Barton to call a second timeout
- A service error from Samin gave the Bulldogs match point, before a Barton kill by Mancin clinched the match, 25-22