The Sacred Heart University men's volleyball team Falls to Penn State 3-2, at the William H. Pitt Center. The Pioneers drop to 4-5 overall and 0-4 in the EIVA while Penn State move to 7-6 overall and 3-0 in the EIVA.
Sacred Heart had a .294 hit percentage, while Penn State recorded a .345 hit percentage on the night.
The Pioneers are back in action on Saturday, February 22 to face conference foe Saint Francis University.
By The Numbers
- Connor Mahoney led Sacred Heart with 20 kills, registered two blocks and six digs
- Rob Chatterton lead the team in blocks with one solo and four block assists
- Ramiro Balaguer registered 41 assists to lead Sacred Heart and had six digs
- Cal Fisher of Penn State tallied 23 kills, five service aces, 10 digs and two block assists
- Brett Wildman recorded 22 kills, two service aces, five digs and three block assists
- Each team totaled eight blocks on the night
First Set (Sacred Heart 27-25)
- After getting the first point in the match on a service error, Sacred Heart scored three straights to lead Penn State 4-2 early.
- Penn would counter with a 2-0 run to tie the game at four a piece.
- A huge solo block for Rob Chatterton was part of a 3-0 run that gave the Pioneers a 7-4 lead
- The Lions outscored Pioneers 4-1 to tie the game at 8-8.
- Penn State went on a 2-0 run that included a service ace to take a 10-9 lead.
- A long rally saw the Pioneers take the lead, two consecutive kills from Butler sparked a 4-0 run to lead 15-12.
- Penn came within one of Sacred Heart going on a 3-1 run, 16-15.
- A big solo block from Sam March started a Penn State 4-1 run to lead 19-18.
- Sacred Heart countered with a 2-0 run, 20-19.
- Penn State took the lead causing SHU to call a timeout, after the timeout Sacred Heart went on a 2-0 run off an error and block from Butler and Chatterton to regain the lead at 22-21.
- Penn state took a 24-23 lead after a 2-0 run to cause a Sacred Heart timeout.
- A service ace from Rob Chatterton saw the Pioneers take the first set 27-25.
- This set had 16 ties and 10 different lead changes
Second Set (Sacred Heart 25-23)
- A kill from Mahoney saw the host lead 1-0. The Lions went on a 2-0 run taking a 2-1 lead
- Then the Pioneers countered with a 2-0 run to go ahead 3-2
- Penn State outscored the host 5-1 to lead 7-4
- Sacred Heart countered with a 3-1 run off a kill by Mahoney and two attack errors from the visitors to come within one of Penn State, 8-7
- A big kill from Shawn Tischler started a 3-0 run that gave Sacred Heart a 12-10 lead
- Penn State cut into the Pioneers lead outscoring them 4-2 tying the game at 14 all
- A kill from Bobby Wilden started a 3-0 run by Penn State, 17-15
- A kill from Paulo Samin brought Sacred Heart within one of the Lions 18-17
- Penn State pulled ahead to 21-18 forcing a Pioneer timeout
- Sacred Heart came out of the timeout and went on a 5-0 tear to lead 23-21. A service error by Fischer gave Sacred Heart the serve, then a kill from Mahoney and a service ace by Butler fueled the 5-0 run
- Sacred Heart sealed the win on a service error by Penn State, this set had 10 ties and 6 lead changes
Third Set (Penn State 25-18)
- Penn State started strong taking a 3-1 early lead, then the Lions outscored the Pioneers 4-1 to extend their advantage, 8-4
- Sacred Heart outscored Penn State 3-2 to bring the score to 9-7
- After a 2-0 Penn State run, Sacred Heart outscored the Lions 3-1 bringing the score to 12-10
- Both teams traded points making the score 15-13.
- A kill by Cal Fisher sparked a 3-0 run to bring the score to 19-14.
- Sacred Heart scored two unanswered points to come within three at 21-18. But the Lions finished with a 4-0 to take the third set 25-18.
Fourth Set (Penn State 25-15)
- A tight 2-2 game to start the fourth set, Sacred Heart scored on a kill from Butler and Samin
- Penn then went on a 3-0 to take the lead to force a Pioneer timeout at 5-2
- The Lions outscored the Pioneers 5-2 to lead 11-6
- Sacred Heart went on a 2-0 run to bring the score to 11-8
- Penn had two consecutive blocks to increase their advantage to 18-12
- Sacred Heart called a timeout to stop a 5-0 run by the visitors, 21-12
- A service ace from Brett Wildman clinched the fourth set for Penn State
Fifth Set (Penn State 15-11)
- After three rallies the Pioneers found themselves up 3-1 on a kill by Chatterton and a block Butler and Chatterton gave the host the early lead
- Sacred Heart then outscored the visitors 3-1 to lead 6-3 causing a Penn State timeout
- Penn State came out of the timeout and went on a 2-0 run to cut into the Pioneers advantage, 6-5
- A service ace from Bobby Wilden tied the game at 7-7, Sacred Heart gained one point just before the teams switched sides to lead 8-7
- The Pioneers increased their lead to two, but Penn countered with a 5-0 run to take a 13-9 lead
- At match point the Pioneers scored two straight to bring the score to 14-11, but a kill from Penn sealed the win at 15-11