PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – Back on the mat after over a month off due to winter break, the Sacred Heart women's fencing team took part in the Penn Dual Meet on Saturday. The Pioneers finished the day with two victories and four defeats. Junior Ashley Cherry (15-3 in the epee) and first-year Sophie Witek (10-6 in the saber) were the key contributors on the day for SHU.
- SHU dominated the first round, defeating Lafayette by a score of 16-11. With a 9-0 sweep coming by forfeit in the foil, the 5-4 Pioneer win in the epee round clinched the overall victory for SHU as Ashley Cherry went 3-0 in the epee to lead the way for the Pioneers. Sophie Witek went 2-1 for SHU in the saber round, claiming both of the Pioneer points with the weapon
- Cherry again led the way for SHU, going 2-1 in the epee, but SHU fell to UNC 22-5 in round two
- A tightly-contested 17-10 loss for SHU to Wagner followed in round three as the Pioneers claimed a 5-4 win in the epee behind another 3-0 showing for Cherry while Witek also showed well, going 3-0 in the saber
- Cherry (3-0) and Witek (2-1) picked up the five SHU points in the Pioneers' 22-5 round five loss to JHU
- Facing Ivy League power Penn in round six, the Pioneers suffered a 24-3 defeat to the Quakers, taking 8-1 losses in all three weapon rounds
- SHU finished one a high-note with their second victory of the day, defeating Fairleigh Dickinson by a slim 15-12 margin in round seven. SHU lost a pair of 5-4 decisions in the foil and epee before coming-from-behind with a 7-2 saber round victory to topple the Knights. Allyson Stejakoski (2-1 in the foil) and Cherry (3-0 in the epee) played big roles in the outcome.
ROUND-BY-ROUND RESULTS (1 Win, 4 Losses)
Round 1: SHU 16, Lafayette 11
Round 2: UNC 22, SHU 5
Round 3: Wagner 17, SHU 10
Round 5: JHU, 22, SHU 5
Round 6: Penn 24, SHU 3
Round 7: SHU 15, FDU 12