MANCHESTER, N.H.- The Sacred Heart University Women's Ice Hockey team completed the two game sweep over NEWHA rival Saint Anselm this afternoon as a game winning goal by sophomore Kennedy Spiering rocketed the Pioneers to a 2-1 victory. SHU will return to action on Friday, Oct. 25 when the Pioneers travel to face in-state rival Quinnipiac. Puck-drop is set for 6:00 p.m.
- The Pioneers outshot the Hawks in the opening period 10-7.
- Both defenses would hold strong not allowing any goals for the first seventeen minutes of the period.
- SHU captalized on the team's tight defensive play as sophomore Kelly Solak scored the opening goal of the game off an assist by senior Victoria Grimmer while the Pioneers were on the power-play at 17:22 to put SHU ahead 1-0.
- Sophomore goalie Frankie Sanchez held the Hawks to no goals in the opening period to keep the game 1-0 in favor of SHU heading into the second period.
- The Hawks rebounded in the second period as they outshot the Pioneers 9-7.
- Saint Anselm's aggressive attack in the second paid off as a goal by Kelly Golini off an assist by Amanda Conger evened the score 1-1 at 4:55 in the period.
- After the Golini goal, both defenses held strong to keep the score even at 1-1 heading into the third period.
- SHU was outshot by Saint Anselm in the period 10-8.
- SHU once again was strong on the power-play opportunity as sophomore Kennedy Spiering fired off a shot passed the netminder courtesy of an assist by freshman Rachel Delong at 6:36 to propel the Pioneers to a 2-1 victory.
- Sanchez held strong in the period allowing no goals on the 10 shots on goal faced in the period.
- In the game SHU would go 2-7 on the power-play while holding the Hawks to going 0-6 on the man advantage in the game.