Posted: Nov 15, 2019
WINCHENDON, MA.- The Sacred Heart University Women's Hockey team fell to Franklin Pierce tonight by a final score of 5-2. The Pioneers will look to even the two-game set tomorrow at 4:00 p.m.
- SHU was outshot in the opening period 13-9.
- The Raven's jumped out to an early 1-0 lead just 2:40 into the period, Stefanie Caban fired a low shot from the middle of the blue line through traffic that snuck inside the left post to put Franklin Pierce ahead 1-0.
- The Pioneers responded though as a power-play goal by sophomore Kelly Solak was from the middle of the blue line through traffic that went into top-left corner of the net off an assist by senior Jayne Lewis 10:06 into the first period to even the score at 1-1.
- In the closing minutes of the opening period Franklin Pierce took the lead of a goal by Bridgette Prentiss off the faceoff 15:52 to give the Ravens a 2-1 lead to end the first period.
- The Pioneers fired off 10 shots on goal in the period while the Ravens tallied nine.
- Strong defense by both sides held each team to no goals for the majority of the period.
- Then, 14:24 into the period Franklin Pierce added onto their 2-1 lead with a goal by Nicole Amato off an assist by Delaney Guimont pushed the Ravens ahead 3-1 in the game.
- Then less than 30 seconds later at 14:46, first-year Cassandra Nevers racked up her first collegiate goal off an assist by sophomore Kelly Solak to narrow the Franklin Pierce lead to 3-2 heading into the third period.
- The Pioneers were outshot in the period 12-3 in the final period.
- The Ravens were the only team in the period to score as a goal by Marissa Massaro 12:17 into the third period put Franklin Pierce ahead 4-2.
- Then in the closing minutes on the Raven power-play, Bridgette Prentiss slipped a goal passed the goalie Frankie Sanchez to give Franklin Pierce a 5-2 lead 17:04 into the third.
- The Pioneers were unable to comeback in the period as SHU fell to the Ravens by a final score of 5-2.
- Sophomore goalie Frankie Sanchez tallied 29 saves on 34 shots faced as her record dropped to 3-8-0 on the year.