SHELTON, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Women's Ice Hockey team picked up its second straight victory this afternoon as the Pioneers edged LIU 2-1. The team returns to action tomorrow night when SHU hosts Johnson and Wales. Puck-drop is set for 7:30 p.m. at the Rinks in Shelton, CT.
- The Pioneers outshot the Sharks in the opening period 14-7.
- Early on in the first period, LIU jumped on the board first off a goal by Morgan Schauer just 1:01 into the game to put the Sharks ahead 1-0.
- While there was a total of seven penalties in the first period alone, neither side capitalized on the power-play as SHU went 0-4 while LIU went 0-3.
- In the final two minutes of the first period, senior Victoria Grimmer broke through the LIU defense and scored off an assist by sophomore Samantha Shoebottom at 18:27 in the first to even the score at 1-1 heading into the second period.
- The Pioneers outshot the Sharks in the second period 12-9.
- Neither side was able to score in the period keeping the score even at 1-1 heading into the third.
- The penalties died down in the period as only SHU committed one penalty in the period.
- Sophomore goalie Frankie Sanchez tallied nine saves in the period on nine shots faced.
- LIU became the aggressor in the final period as the Sharks outshot the Pioneers 12-8.
- Neither side was able to find the back of the net until past the midway point in the period as sophomore Kennedy Spiering fired off her third goal of the year off a pair of assists by junior Juliana Lynch and sophomore Nicole Guidi 13:50 into the period to put the Pioneers ahead 2-1.
- Strong defense by Sanchez led to the Pioneers walking away with the 2-1 victory as she saved all 12 shots fired at her in the period.