SHELTON, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Women's Ice Hockey team defeated Johnson and Wales tonight by a final score of 7-1. The Pioneers will return to action on Friday Dec. 6 when SHU faces Post in a NEWHA road matchup. Puck-drop is set for 2:00 p.m.
- The Pioneers outshot the Wildcats 14-3 in the period.
- Just passed midway through the first period, senior Olivia Bryant tallied her first goal of the season on the SHU power-play to give the Pioneers a 1-0 lead 11:52 into the opening period.
- Then in the closing minutes of the first period, senior Jayne Lewis would net her seventh goal of the year off an assist by fellow senior Maddie Bishop 18:18 into the period to put the Pioneers ahead 2-0 heading into the second period.
- The goals kept rolling in for the Pioneers as SHU outshot the Wildcats 25-2 in the period.
- Just 1:40 into the period, first-year Cassandra Nevers scored her second career goal off assists by fellow first-year Alexa Ocel and sophomore Cannady Taleghani to put SHU ahead 3-0.
- Just over a minute later 2:49 into the period, first-year Charlotte Huntington recorded her first collegiate goal unassisted to put SHU ahead 4-0.
- The goals didn't stop their as Lewis found the back of the net for a second time this time 8:08 into the second period off an assist by Bishop to give SHU a 5-0 lead.
- One more goal was scored by the Pioneers off the stick of junior Jordan Sanislo 13:01 into the period off assists by Bishop and Lewis to put SHU ahead 6-0 heading into the final period.
- Strong defense by both sides held each other to no goals in the first half of the period.
- Then 10:16 into the period Maddie Bishop slipped a goal passed the netminder off an assists by sophomore Samantha Shoebottom to put the Pioneers ahead 7-0.
- Johnson and Wales would score in the game coming in the final minutes at 18:04 off the stick of Cassie Wakefield but wouldn't be enough giving SHU the 7-1 victory.
- Senior Jayne Lewis recorded three points on the day with two goals and one assist to up her totals on the year to eight goals and four assists.
- Senior Maddie Bishop had a four point day with four assists and one goal upping her totals to four goals and seven assists.
- First-year Charlotte Huntington recorded her first collegiate goal while fellow first-year Alexa Ocel tallied her first collegiate assist.
- With the win, the Pioneers improve to 6-8-0 overall on the year.