SHELTON, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Women's Ice Hockey team took the first game of the two-game set against Post as the Pioneers skated to a 3-2 victory. The team looks for the two-game sweep tomorrow night when they host the Eagles back at the Rinks in Shelton at 7:30 p.m.
- The Pioneers outshot the Eagles in the opening period as SHU fired off 15 shots on goal while Post only salvaged five.
- Just 2:45 into the first, Post got on the board off a goal by Saddie Storm to give the Eagles a 1-0 lead.
- SHU came back to even the score just before the halfway mark in the period though as sophomore Anna Klein rocketed her tenth goal of the season off a pair of assists by first-year Alexa Ocel and sophomore Kelly Solak to tie the game up a 1-1 8:35 into the period.
- SHU was on the power-play at the time of the goal making the Pioneers go 1-2 in the period on the man advantage.
- The Pioneers nearly doubled the shots on goal in the second period as SHU fired of 24 while holding Post to just seven.
- SHU kicked off the period with an early goal coming off the stick of sophomore Nicole Guidi at 3:16 into the period off a pair of assists by senior Maddie Bishop and sophomore Kennedy Spiering to give the Pioneers a 2-1 lead.
- Then two minutes passed the midway point in the period Bishop switched from giving assists to scoring goals as she cashed in her eighth goal of the season off assists by fellow senior Victoria Grimmer and sophomore Samantha Shoebottom to put the Pioneers ahead 3-1 at 12:37 in the period.
- SHU went 1-2 on the power-play in the period as the Guidi goal was while Post was shorthanded.
- The Pioneers also tallied 11 faceoff wins in the period while Post won 10.
- The Pioneers continued the aggressive offensive attack in the third period as SHU fired off 14 shots on goal while holding Post to just six.
- Neither side would score for the first nine minutes of the period then at 9:25 in the third, Post tightened the SHU lead to 3-2 off a goal by Catherine Prolux with an assist granted to Victoria Paton.
- After the lone Post goal, both sides skated to a stalemate as SHU squeaked away with the 3-2 victory.