SHELTON, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Women's Ice Hockey team picked up its fifth straight win of the year as the Pioneers defeated LIU by a final score of 4-1. SHU looks for the home-and-home sweep tomorrow when SHU takes on the Sharks in Syosset, N.Y. at 8:20 p.m.
- Neither team was able to get on the scoreboard as the Pioneers were outshot by the Sharks 8-6.
- While the shots on goal were limited there were many blocked shots as a total of seven blocked shots were recorded in the opening period.
- In the final minute of the period, the Pioneers rocketed off three straight shots on goal mainly by sophomore Anna Klein but goalie Kenzie Harmison stopped all three keeping the game scoreless at 0-0 heading into the second period.
- The Pioneers went on the offensive attack in the second period as they outshot LIU 13-5 in the period.
- Early in the period, LIU jumped out to a 1-0 lead off a goal by Renee Hoffmann on an assist by Julia Hoffmann just 2:07 into the period.
- SHU answered back just two minutes later off a goal by sophomore Samantha Shoebottom 4:49 into the period off assists by seniors Victoria Grimmer and Maddie Bishop to even the score at 1-1.
- Then in the closing minutes of the period at the 18:00 mark, Shoebottom racked up her second goal of the game off a pair of assists by senior Jayne Lewis and first-year Alexa Ocel to give the Pioneers a 2-1 lead heading into the third period.
- The Pioneers kept on the aggressive offensive attack as SHU outshot the Sharks 10-5 in the period.
- Neither team would score in the first half of the period but then at 16:14 into the third, senior Olivia Bryant found the open hole to cash in the her second goal of the year unassisted to put SHU ahead 3-1.
- Then in the closing minutes, with LIU's goalie out for the extra skater, senior Jayne Lewis netted her 15th goal of the year to close the game with SHU defeating LIU 4-1.
- Sophomore Samantha Shoebottom tallied two goals for the Pioneers in the win.
- Senior Jayne Lewis picked up a goal and an assist for two points on the day.
- Sophomore goalie Frankie Sanchez picked up her 11th win of the year with 17 saves on 18 shots faced.
- SHU has now won five straight games and have won an outstanding eight NEWHA games in a row.