SYOSETT, N.Y.- The Sacred Heart University Women's Ice Hockey team sealed the two-game sweep of LIU this afternoon as the Pioneers defeated the Sharks by a final score of 2-1. SHU will return to action on Tuesday, January 28 when the Pioneers host Post. Puck-drop is set for 12:00 p.m.
- Neither side would find the back of the net in the period as the Pioneers fired off 10 shots on goal while LIU tallied just seven.
- The two teams were even in faceoff wins as SHU won 11 while LIU took 10.
- Neither team had success on the power-play as SHU went 0-2 while LIU went 0-1.
- LIU outshot the Pioneers in the second period as the Sharks fired 10 shots on goal while SHU tallied just six.
- The Pioneers were the team to jump on the board though as a goal by senior Victoria Grimmer pushed the Pioneers ahead 1-0 just 1:38 into the period.
- After the Grimmer goal, the two sides skated to a standstill to keep the SHU lead at 1-0 heading into the third period.
- LIU came back early to even the score off a goal by Megan Bouveur just 3:48 into the period to tie the game up at 1-1.
- SHU answered right back to take a 2-1 lead as senior Jayne Lewis fired off her 16th goal of the year at 6:16 into the period to give SHU the eventual 2-1 victory.
- In the win, sophomore goalie Frankie Sanchez tallied 28 saves on 29 shots faced and improves her record to 12-10 on the year.