SHELTON, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Women's Ice Hockey team picked up its seventh straight victory of the year with a 4-0 shutout win over Post. The Pioneers will return to action on Friday, Jan. 31 when the Pioneers host Franklin Pierce. Puck-drop is set for 4:00 p.m.
- The Pioneers outshot the Eagles 11-4 in shots on goal.
- Neither side would score in the first half of the period as tight defense by both teams held off an aggressive offensive attack.
- In the opening seconds of the period, Jayne Lewis attempted a penalty shot on a tripping penalty just 17 seconds into the game but goalie Kaitlyn Daly saved the shot to keep the game scoreless.
- Then 10:17 into the period Lewis capitalized on another opportunity to score off a pair of assists by first-year Alexa Ocel and sophomore Anna Klein to put the Pioneers ahead 1-0 heading into the second period.
- The Pioneers upped the firing squad in the second period as SHU outshot Post 25-5 in the period.
- With the aggressive shots on goal in the period, a goal was destined for the Pioneers and at 14:23 into the period sophomore Kennedy Spiering did just that as she tallied her sixth goal of the year off a pair of assists by fellow sophomore Nicole Guidi and senior Maddie Bishop to put the Pioneers ahead 2-0 heading into the third period.
- Light work game for sophomore goalie Frankie Sanchez as she only had to stop five shots at her to keep the Pioneers ahead 2-0.
- The Pioneers continued the aggressive offensive attack as they outshot the Eagles 20-2 in the period.
- SHU tallied two goals in the final period first coming off the stick of junior Jordan Sanislo 2:34 into the period off a pair of an assist by first-year Rachel Delong to put the Pioneers ahead 3-0.
- Then in the closing minutes of the period 17:18 in, first-year Alexa Ocel nailed her fourth goal of the year off a an assist by sophomore Anna Klein to give the Pioneers the 4-0 shutout victory.
- First-year Alexa Ocel tallied a goal and an assist for two points.
- Sophomore Anna Klein also had a two point day with two assists.
- Sophomore goalie Frankie Sanchez picked up her 13th win of the year and first shutout win of the year as she tallied 11 saves on 11 shots faced.
- SHU improves to 15-10-0 overall and 11-2-0 in NEWHA play to remain in first in the association.