SHELTON, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Women's Ice Hockey team ended senior day on a high note as the Pioneers defeated Saint Anselm by a final score of 3-1. With the win, the Pioneers have upped their win streak to 11 games to improve to 19-10 overall on the year and 16-2 in NEWHA play. SHU returns to action on Friday, Feb 14 when the Pioneers travel to face St. Michael's. Puck-drop is set for 7:00 p.m.
- In honor of senior day, head coach Thomas O'Malley started all the seniors in the opening period including backup goalie Gina Moriello who played for 2:51 and tallied a save.
- The Pioneers were outshot in the first period by the Hawks 8-6.
- That low shot on goal totals didn't frighten SHU as the Pioneers took advantage of their lone power-play in the first period as sophomore Kennedy Spiering cashed in her seventh goal of the year 17:04 into the period off a pair of assists by seniors Victoria Grimmer and Maddie Bishop to put the Pioneers ahead 1-0.
- After the Spiering goal, neither team scored keep the game 1-0 in favor of the Pioneers.
- The Pioneers increased the offensive attack in the period as SHU outshot Saint Anselm 11-8 in the period.
- SHU capitalized on the double-digit shots on goal as the Pioneers tacked on two goals in the period. First coming off the stick of senior Jayne Lewis 12:40 into the period off an assist by sophomore Kelly Solak to give the Pioneers a 2-0 lead.
- Then four minutes later 16:46 into the period, the Pioneers notched another goal this time coming off the stick of first-year Rachel DeLong off a pass from fellow first-year Sophie Lupone to put the Pioneers ahead 3-0.
- Saint Anselm did tighten the lead late in the period as Kaley Campbell scored the Hawks first goal of the game at 17:56 into the period to end the second with SHU ahead 3-1.
- Saint Anselm outshot the Pioneers in the third period 12-11.
- The third period was all about defense as neither side found the back of the net in the third period.
- SHU had one attempt on the power-play while the Pioneer defense held off two power-play chances by the Hawks.
- Sophomore goalie Frankie Sanchez made sure no goals would slip by her as she made 12 saves in the period.
- The Pioneers improve their record to 19-10 overall and 16-2 in NEWHA play.
- SHU continues its win streak as the Pioneers have racked up 11 wins in a row.
- SHU dominated the face-off battle as they won 46 face-offs in the game.
- Sophomore goalie Frankie Sanchez picked up her 17th win of the year with the victory as she tallied 27 saves on 28 shots faced.