The Sacred Heart University women's rugby team fell 29-17 to visiting NIRA foe Brown University, Saturday on Park Avenue Field. The loss drops the Pioneers to 1-4 on the season and NIRA play, while the Bears improve to 3-2 on the season and 3-1 in league play.
SHU played in the offensive end for long portions of the first-half, but were unable to convert. The Pioneers trailed 12-0 at intermission and Brown built a 22-0 early in the second-half, before SHU scored 12 straight points and 17 of the final 24.
The Pioneers return to action on October 20 when they host Mount St. Mary's in an 11:00 am match.
- Mahdia Parker put the Bears on the board first with a try 23:31 into the contest and Abby O'Keefe converted the kick for a 7-0 lead
- Just over six minutes later Johanna Bambler notched a try for a 12-0 advantage, which Brown took into the intermission.
- Parker struck again 4:18 into the second half and Karina Wong at 61:02 as Brown built its largest lead of the match, 22-0
- SHU got onto the scoreboard 8:52 later with a Tyfanny Brisbane try and Kaylee Hale kick
- Makinzie Youngblood tallied a try at 75:19 to make the score 22-12
- Brown answered 3:22 later with a Zyana Thomas try and Sophie Hale wrapped up the scoring for the Pioneers in the 80thminute for the final margin
By the Numbers
- Alex Simon led all players with 10 tackles for Brown
- Isabel Cuddy led SHU with seven tackles and on the offensive side had a run of 20
- Along with her try, Youngblood recorded six tackles, as did Stephanie Wilson, and had a run of 20
- Parker finished with two runs of 20, a pair of tries, and three tackles
- SHU held an advantage in scrum wins, 11-10, and line outs, 8-5
- Six Pioneers recorded at least five tackles in the contest
- Brown was 2-5 on conversion kicks, while SHU went 1-3