FAIRFIELD, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Women's Rugby team fell to Mount Saint Mary's this morning by a final score of 25-22. The Pioneers will return to action on Saturday, Oct. 26 when the Pioneers host Molloy. Kick-off is set for 11:00 a.m.
- The Pioneers would go down 10-0 in the opening half as a pair of tries by Mount Saint Mary's would put the Mount ahead heading into the second half.
- Both sides would be mainly even in lineouts and scrums in the opening half as SHU tallied five lineout wins while Mount Saint Mary's recorded seven.
- In scrum wins the Pioneers were edged by the Mount six to five in the half.
- The first try by the Mount came at 20:35 in the half as Alyssa Mathis would find the touchline as the Maya Grassi kick would be unsuccessful keeping the score a 5-0.
- At 30:00 in the half, Jalana Garcia would score the second try of the game to put the Mount ahead 10-0 heading in the second half.
- The Pioneers would fire back in the second half as junior Isabel Cuddy would find the touchline off an assist by freshman Stephanie Wilson at 7:30 to put the Pioneers within striking distance as Mount's lead would shrink to 10-5.
- Mount Saint Mary's would answer back with a try by Jordan Butcher at 11:25 to bring the Mount lead back to ten with the scoring being 15-5.
- Just three minutes later, a successful penalty kick by Kaylee Hale at 14:12 would shrink the Mount lead to 15-8.
- Just six minutes later the Pioneers would even the score at 15-15 with a try by McKenzie Jumper and a successful conversion by Kaylee Hale at 18:53.
- The Mount answered back with a try by Shania Miller at 24:03 but an unsuccessful conversion would only put the Mount ahead 20-15 with time left in the half.
- A penalty try four minutes later by Isabel Cuddy at 28:47 would put the Pioneers ahead 22-20 off an assist by McKenzie Jumper.
- In the final minutes of the half, Mount Saint Mary's would score the game winning try at 38:38 in the half as Jen Lewaren would find the touchline to push Mount Saint Mary's ahead 25-22.
- SHU would win just one lineout win in the half while the Mount tallied seven.
- In scrum wins, the Pioneers edged the Mount four to three.