Women's Soccer Edged By Vermont 1-0 in Season Opener

Women's Soccer Edged By Vermont 1-0 in Season Opener

BURLINGTON, VT- The Sacred Heart University Women's Soccer team (0-1 overall, 0-0, NEC) was edged by Vermont (1-0 overall, 0-0 America East) in the team's season opener tonight by a final score of 1-0. The Pioneers will return to action in two days when SHU travels to face New Hampshire on Sunday, August 25. Kick-off is set for 2:00 p.m.

First Half 

  • The Pioneers would come close to the Catamounts in shots as SHU aimed six to Vermont's 10.
  • Very few fouls occurred in the first half as a total of just five were taken throughout the half as SHU tallied two to Vermont's three.
  • The Catamounts would strike early as a goal by Natalie Durieux off an assist by Nicky Constant at 4:38 in the half would give Vermont a 1-0 lead.
  • After allowing the one goal first-year Elyssa Kipperman would hold strong tallying four saves in the first half.
  • In the final minutes of the first half the Pioneers would go on the attack attempting three shots before Vermont could tally one before the end of the first half. First-year Meadow Mancini would lead the way in the first half notching two shots with one on goal.  

Second Half 

  • The second half would be all Pioneers as SHU would outshoot the Catamounts in the half nine to four.
  • The Pioneer defense held strong throughout the entire second half as goalie Elyssa Kipperman would only tally two saves thanks to the strong protective defense by the Pioneers.
  • Vermont's goalie would be challenged in the second half as she had to save five shots in the half to keep the Catamounts ahead throughout the game.
  • First-year Michelle Clarkin would have two close opportunities in the half to even the score up at 1-1 but both her shots on goal would be saved by the keeper. She would finish the day with three shots on the day with two on goal.
  • Fellow first-year Nichol Green have her chance to tie the game up in the final minutes as she would fire a shot to the bottom left of the goal but would be saved by the keeper as the Pioneers would be unable to attempt another shot on goal in the game to make the final score 1-0.