FAIRFIELD, Conn.- The Sacred Heart University Women's Soccer team picked up the team's first victory of the season against Temple this afternoon winning by a final score of 3-1. The Pioneers will return to action on Thursday, Sept. 5 when SHU travels to face in-state rival Hartford. Kick-off is set for 6:00 p.m.
"We have been stressing hard work and improving each day, and today the girls put together a complete performance against a very good Temple side. After having such an experienced group of seniors last year, we knew this year would be a bit of a roller coaster ride with some many young players. We will enjoy this one and hopefully continue to improve." SHU Head coach Matt Micros on today's victory.
- The Pioneers edged the Owls in shots in the opening half 9-7.
- SHU was first to jump on the board on a well-placed shot by freshman, Meadow Mancini off an assist by fellow freshmen, Azria Malloy. That put the Pioneers ahead 1-0 at 28:42 in the first half.
- Strong goaltending by Elyssa Kipperman (Freshman, Southbury, CT) kept the Pioneers ahead as she recorded five saves.
- In the second half, both sides came out firing as Temple aggressively pushed to knot the game up.
- Temple's strong attack paid dividends at 62:08 in the 2nd half, when Gabriela Johnson found the back of the net for the equalizer to make the score 1-1.
- SHU answered just two minutes later at 64:38, when freshman forward, Michelle Clarkin found the back of the net off an assist by Mancini to take back the lead, 2-1.
- After the Pioneers fired off four shots in 10 minutes, including two off the crossbar, they finally found the back of the net once again as Clarkin knocked in her second goal of the game and second of the season at 79:36.
- The Pioneers then closed the game out for a 3-1 victory.
- Kipperman remained strong in goal recording nine saves on ten shots faced and picked up her first collegiate win.
PERIOD TIME PLAYER V - H
Temple 2nd 62:08 Gabriela Johnson (1) (Morgan Morocco) 1 - 1