KINGSTON, R.I.- The Sacred Heart University Women's soccer team had its three game-winning streak snapped this afternoon as they dropped today's game to Rhode Island by a final score of 2-0. The Pioneers will return to action on Saturday Sept. 14 when SHU hosts Saint Peter's. Kick-off is set for 12:00 p.m.
"Some days collectively as a team, a group plays well. Maybe it was the culmination of playing our fifth road game in our first six games, but today we lacked effort and sharpness across the board. A disappointing effort from our team, but a nice performance from URI also contributed to it. Hopefully the players will learn that a mediocre performance against a good side will not result in the desired result. Tomorrow is a new day." Head coach Matt Micros on the tough loss.
- It would be a slow half for the Pioneers as they were unable to salvage a single shot in the entire period.
- Rhode Island fired off seven shots in the half while only being able to attempt two shots on goal in which both were saved by first-year Elyssa Kipperman.
- The SHU defense held strong in the first half stopping the Rams for scoring on the two corner attempts that Rhode Island had keeping the game scoreless heading into the second half.
- The Pioneers tallied five shots in the half while three were on goal but none would be able to find the back of the net. Rhode Island recorded five shots as well in the half with four on goal.
- The Rams would find the back of the net first at 49:22 off the foot of Brooke Cavino to give Rhode Island a 1-0 lead.
- Then 20 minutes later at 69:19, Lily Caso would slip a shot passed the goaltender Kipperman to give the Rams a 2-0 lead.
- Rhode Island's defense prevented the Pioneers offensive attack for the remainder of the game leading to the team walking away with the 2-0 victory over SHU.