HAMPTON, Va.- The Sacred Heart University softball team continued action at the Pirate Classic Tournament in Virginia on Saturday afternoon, and SHU fell in eight innings to the University of Toledo Rockets by a 5-0 score. Saturday's second schedule contest versus Hampton University was not played due to darkness. The Pioneers will return to action tomorrow when they close out their 2020 season-opening weekend in Virginia facing Norfolk State at 9:00 a.m. followed by Youngstown State at 11:00 a.m.
Sacred Heart University Pioneers (0-2 overall, 0-0 NEC)
Toledo Rockets (5-2 overall, 0-0 MAC)
· After a scoreless seven innings of action, the Rockets scored all five of the game's runs in the top of the eighth inning on a one-out single by Dayna Denner, followed by a run-scoring SHU miscue and a base-clearing double by Morgan Paaverud.
· Toledo outhit the Pioneers, 9-1, in the game.
· Senior Katelyn Christian had Sacred Heart's only hit on the day, a one-out double in the bottom of the seventh inning, but the potential winning run in pinch runner, classmate Jennie Boisvert was left stranded at second base
· Junior Shyanne Fennell (0-1) was the hard-luck loser in the pitching circle for the Pioneers on Saturday hurling an eight-inning complete game in which she allowed five unearned runs on nine hits with five strikeouts and only one walk.
· Toledo's Erin Hunt upped her season pitching record to 4-0 allowing only one-hit on the day with 6 K's and one base on balls.
· The Pioneers committed a total of three errors in the game; two of which came in decisive top of the eighth inning.