MADEIRA BEACH, Fla.- The Sacred Heart University softball team opened play at 2020 Spring Games in Madeira Beach, Florida with a 3-2 win on Friday over the University of the Incarnate Word Cardinals. The Pioneers will continue play in the Sunshine State on Saturday with a pair of games facing Seton Hall University at 11:00 a.m. and Houston Baptist University at 1:30 p.m. as part of the 2020 Spring Games in Madeira Beach.
Sacred Heart University Pioneers (2-3 overall, 0-0 NEC)
University of the Incarnate Word (7-8 overall, 0-0 Southland)
· The Pioneers scored all three of their runs in the game in the top of third inning when sophomore Alyssa Gonzalez clubbed a clutch, two-out, three-run home run to centerfield that plated Stephanie Mangiameli, who reached on a fielder's choice, and Amy Petrovich, who got on base via Cardinals' error.
· Incarnate Word scored both of its runs in the bottom of the fifth inning on a pair of one-out, bases loaded walks drawn Renee Huffman and Maddie Boldt.
In The Circle
· SHU freshman Olivia Vadas (1-0) picked up her first collegiate win in the pitching circle on Friday, as she worked 4.1 innings in which she allowed five hits, two runs (both earned) with three strike outs and two walks.
· Junior Shyanne Fennell, who notched her first save of the 2020, turned in a dominant performance that included getting out of a one-out, bases loaded jam in the bottom of the fifth inning. Fennell allowed only two hits over 2.2 innings of scoreless relief in which she fanned two batters and did not allow a base on balls.
· Renee Huffman took the loss for the Cardinals firing a complete game, four-hitter in which she did not allow an earned run. Huffman walked four and the Pioneers did not strike out in the game.
By The Numbers
· Incarnate Word outhit Sacred Heart, 7-4, on the day.
· Kendall McGary and Abby Frank each had a pair of hits for Incarnate Word on Friday.