DeLAND, Fla.– The Sacred Heart University softball team continued play at the Stetson University Classic on Saturday by dropping two games, as local rival Fairfield University nipped the Pioneers, 6-5, scoring two runs in the bottom of the seventh inning, and the host Stetson University Hatters blanked SHU, 2-0. The Pioneers, who are now 7-8 on the season, will wrap up action at Stetson on Sunday when they face Northern Kentucky University at 10:00 a.m.
Sacred Heart University Pioneers (7-7 overall, 0-0 NEC)
Fairfield University Stags (3-9 overall, 0-0 MAAC)
·Trailing 2-0 entering the top of the third inning, Sacred Heart cut the deficit in half on an RBI single by Amy Petrovich.
·After a home run by Fairfield's Kaitlin Hoffman in the fourth upped the Stags lead to 3-1, the Pioneers stormed back to take a 5-3 lead after five innings scoring four runs in the top of the fifth on a sacrifice fly by Jennie Boisvert, a two-RBI double by Alyssa Gonzalez and another RBI double Caroline Kruger.
·Hoffman drove in another run for Fairfield in the sixth to make the score 5-4 in favor of the Pioneers, but the Stags would then plate two runs in bottom of the seventh to walk-off with the 6-5 victory on a squeeze bunt single by Madison Robicheau and a Sacred Heart throwing error later in the frame.
In The Circle
·Carlie Williams started for Pioneers and received no decision working two innings in which she allowed three hits, two runs (both earned) with five walks and one strikeout.
·Olivia Vadas (1-2 on the season) took the loss in relief in Saturday's first game, as she pitched 4.1 innings in which she allowed seven hits, four runs (only two earned), with three K's and two walks.
·Lauryn Rhinehart earned the win for Fairfield working all seven innings allowing eight hits, one earned run with three strikeouts and allowing four bases on balls.
By The Numbers
· The Stags outhit the Pioneers, 10-8, in the game.
· The loss versus Fairfield snapped a season-best five game SHU winning streak.
Sacred Heart University Pioneers (7-9 overall, 0-0 NEC)
Stetson University Hatters (10-13 overall, 0-0 A. Sun)
· The only scoring in Saturday's second game came on a two-run homer by Stetson's Devon Lewis in bottom of the fourth inning
In The Circle
· Junior Colleen Walsh was the hard-luck loser for the Pioneers against Stetson, as she fired a complete game in which she allowed only two hits, two runs (both earned), with one strikeout and one walk. Walsh is now 3-2 on the season.
·Lauren Klein pitched a six-hit, complete game shutout to pick up the win for the Hatters, as she fanned three and walked two.
By The Numbers
· Sacred Heart outhit Stetson, 6-2, on the day, but left eight runners on base, as the Pioneers were blanked for the fourth time this season.
· Amy Petrovich, for her third straight game, and Kylee Harvey, led the SHU offense against Stetson, as the each had two hits in Saturday's second game.