NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The Sacred Heart women's track and field team opened the 2019-20 indoor campaign at the Yale Season Opener on Saturday. The Pioneers scored victories in the 3000m (Bianca De Lucia), 5000m (Brigit Kelly) and triple jump (Kaylee Stenderowicz) to highlight the day of action.
- Coming off her All-NEC cross country season, De Lucia headlined a group of four Pioneers, who were the only team to field runners in the 3000m, with a personal-best time of 10:59.44
- Kelly continued what was a strong showing in the distance events with her first place result in the 5000m, crossing the line with a personal-best time of 18:58.28
- Making her debut as a Pioneer, first-year Kaylee Stenderowicz made quite the impression with a first place showing in the triple jump, posting a mark of 11.35m that is already good enough to earn her a bid into the New England Championships
- Another New England qualifier came from Brianna Lavinier as the senior threw a personal-best 12.98m in the shot put to take second place overall
- Lavinier added another second place finish in the weight throw, throwing 14.15m while Madelyn Bradway claimed third place with a throw of 14.00m
- Jillian Kilmer started her season with a sixth place finish in the 60m hurdles, qualifying for the finals with a preliminary time of 9.51 seconds and closing the finals with a time of 9.64 seconds for take sixth
- Tara Brody was just 0.01 seconds off her personal-best time in the 200m as she posted a time of 26.79 seconds to take 11th in the event
- The one mile event featured four Pioneers who finished in the Top 5, all of which posted personal-best times in the event, led by Natalie DuBois (5:35.48), Brenna Thibodeau (5:36.26), Victoria Lynch (5:38.49) and Gabrielle Vega (5:39.30)
- Another first-year to show well in her collegiate debut was Lauren Santiago who crossed the line in 1:19.44 in the 500m which was good enough for third place
The Pioneers have one more event prior to the winter break as SHU heads to the Northeastern Joe Donahue Season Opener on Saturday, December 14 to close out the semester.